5/13/2007

The Contender & Happy Endings

The Contender would have been a lot better if the pictures had been real. As it is, and I guess the spoiler alert should be on, if I cared, or you cared, or I recommended anyone see this film, that the pictures were fake just means that it was a waste to argue that the private lives of politicians are worth keeping private. Oh, and an excuse to argue about whether a senator performed in a DP when she was 19. Who really cares? If they didn't, that would be a scandal. Unless the politician was a Republican. And then I'd be surprised if they didn't enjoy having sex with small boys. ZING! Really, the film was all about how Hillary Clinton was a slut in college, but only one that touched a thing, not one who smoked a thing. And by thing I mean penis. It was facile and stupid, and just mindnumbingly naive. Beh to it.

Happy Endings is Don Roos's film about gay people, massages, migrant workers, and abortion. It has quite a good cast, with Lisa Kudrow, Steve Coogan, Jesse Bradford, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Tom Arnold, David Sutcliffe, and Laura Dern. Well, ok, I hate Tom Arnold. He sucks. I just thought it didn't go nearly as well as it could have, and the narration (well, intertitles) were just eh. I... whatever. I didn't hate it, and I didn't love it. There were funny bits, there were annoying bits, and it just was eh. But Maggie Gyllenhaal singing was quite good.

No comments: