7/22/2007

Buffy Singalong, The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl, & The Human Beast

Friday night I went with friends to see Once More, with Feeling on the big screen. And sing along to it. The Washington Post has a write up, but somehow I don't think I had any pictures taken of me anywhere. Just imagine me as Giles in I've Got a Theory/Bunnies/If We're Together. And it'd probably be slightly better than my actual costume. There were not nearly enough costumes for my liking, as I didn't see any, and only a few Sunnydale t-shirts. The District is a boring place of people unwilling to have fun. I am including myself in that. I was also extremely disappointed that my popper didn't pop. I wonder about what that means. But the show was immensely fun, bunnies are awesome, it was nice to see that there were a lot of Buffy fans in DC (although the one time I was walking around DC with Firefly, I did discuss it with a stranger), I sang along to every song, spoke along to my favorite lines, and I now have vampire fangs that taste terrible. I think I might need to soak them in something minty because ew. At least before the next screening in November.

The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl is a sort of revisionist look at her, but I question whether anyone could possibly have thought that Hitler wasn't evil, or at least horribly anti-Semitic. Then again, most Germans were anti-Semitic then. It's disappointing that she just sort of shrugs off any problems with book burnings or anti-Semitism. That she is so intent on trying to minimize her culpability for all of it is so obvious that her claims lost quite a bit of their effectiveness. Having seen Triumph of the Will, there is no doubt that it's a masterful work of propaganda, but it's also an utterly repulsive film. But at least this 3 hour long documentary has an intermission. Plus, nudity! Dead Jew nudity! African nudity! Floppy Nazi nudity! Master race, my ass! Note the very important comma. I'd only seen bits and pieces of Olympia before, but that one really is an impressive film. And only a little racist.

The Human Beast is another Jean Renoir film. I think I'll just go take the rest of the Renoir films out of my Netflix queue. Ah, there. Much better. It's one of those films that's only really known by its original name, not the translation, which is why I'm referring to it as its translation. Also, he's pretty bad in his role in the film. Beh.

No comments: