5/04/2008

Dune Megapost

Back in the early 90s probably, I first saw Dune. I remember liking it, although the severed head on a plate, along with Paul riding a worm and the shield effects were about all I recall from it. I caught bits and pieces of it again over the next decade or so, becoming less and less impressed. But moving to DC along with talking with The Maestro and Tweaks lead to me buying Dune, which I read last month, and then I spent half the weekend (estimated) watching the extended edition of Dune and the director's cut of the Dune miniseries.

The 1984 film, in the extended 3 hour edition, has some inconsistent special effects, with the blue eyes disappearing occasionally among characters who should have them. And the CGI and blue screened effects are early and distracting now, and some of the changes from the book are weak. I liked the weirding way in the book, and the switch to a sonic weapon didn't really make any sense. I really didn't like what they did with the floaty Baron Harkonnen, and the Sardaukar definitely didn't look like people in hazmat suits. And the narration along with the many, many thought asides just goes to show that the book probably couldn't have made a successful movie. I'm normally an enormous fan of the book rather than the movie, although sometimes that isn't entirely the case, as Starship Troopers is a far more enjoyable movie than the rather fascist book. Not to say that the book wasn't slightly enjoyable, but the movie was better. In this case, Dune the book allowed for all the characters to be developed. Although most of the plot points survived the transition, three hours wasn't remotely enough to cover it all. Maybe the five hour miniseries will be ok.

That one follows the book considerably closer, and even adds a touch of nudity, something I really wasn't expecting in a Sci-Fi channel miniseries. I guess that's what the director's cut was for, though. Some of the cast in the movie was considerably better than the miniseries, but the ability to allow the characters to have some time to become interesting is helpful. The extra time with Princess Irulan wasn't really adding much, but at least the miniseries didn't end with it raining on Arrakis, which makes no sense at all. And it still has the Baron Harkonnen floating with his suspensors. Which isn't what I got from the book at all. And I always imagined the final battle to be in stillsuits, again distracting me. Certainly, if you are looking for following the book, more modern special effects, and an overall better experience, go with the miniseries, but the movie definitely has some things to recommend it. Acting was considerably better. And the final battle, short of the change to the weirding way was closer in the movie.

I've been told to read through the fourth book, but I almost definitely will not. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but sequels, especially ones that start to mess with characters just make me annoyed. I was having this discussion, although slightly different, with someone I haven't decided how to name on here, about how much I love both Pavement and Dismemberment Plan, and that I am extremely reluctant to listen to any Malkmus or Morrison solo stuff. Even if I now know a member of the Hellfighters. The chance to see something I enjoy ruined is something I try to avoid. No more Phantom Menaces please.

1 comment:

Original Birthday Holder said...

I would read your blog more often if you
a) talked about me more
b) didn't write such long posts
c) mostly agreed with me

On another note: Starship Troopers = fuck yeah I love that movie, omg omg number three
And another note: The miniseries fucking rawks, I don't know what poor acting skills you are talking about. I think I cried the first time I finished that damn miniseries.
And a Final Note: The fourth Dune book is horrific, but the others aren't so bad. The pre-quels written by Herbert's son, seem like something written by Orson Scott Card, so very entertaning and worth the read.