12/07/2009

A Death in Tehran, TV Funhouse, Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 7, Bored To Death, & Andy Barker, P.I.

A Death in Tehran is a Frontline episode about Neda Agha Soltan's murder at the hands of the government militia in Iran. Everytime I think about Iran, all I can think about is the Twittervolution, which is just one of the many times that I feel like technology could be something really important, and yet, it can't do everything alone. I appreciate that so many people tried to do things from outside Iran, but a lot of it isn't going to make any real difference without government support both inside and outside the revolution. But it also feels like a revolution without a great deal of support outside of the middle and upper classes. Which hasn't been enough for a revolution since... well, I can't think of one. It's normally the other way around.

TV Funhouse is the short run series from Robert Smigel with lots of puppets doing very dirty things. I don't remember if I saw all of them when they first aired, but it is an occasionally funny show. Curb Your Enthusiasm's seventh season has the Seinfeld reunion that will never happen in real life, but worked very well as about 15 minutes of material (repeated in various forms) within the normal craziness that is Curb. I am not sure that bits of episodes worked as well as previous seasons, but the overarching plot was about the same quality as expected. I miss Seinfeld, but that is the greatest reunion show episode ever. Bored to Death is probably a little too pot-hipster-y. Which for some reason I don't really care for? It was ok, great cast, and could be good in the future if it comes back and figures out that it's a comedic film noir, and not just a film noir. Plus, I've rewatched the new DVD of Andy Barker, P.I. and concur with my previous estimation. Of both that and American Idol (with the added note that it's not just Since U Been Gone, it's all of Kelly Clarkson's output).

No comments: