11/27/2007

City of Men & Battlestar Galactica: Razor

City of Men is the Brazilian TV show that basically follows a couple of favela kids in Rio over about four years, with most of the people behind City of God also working on this. Because of that, it's extremely well-made, funny, touching, heartbreaking, and ultimately uplifting, although also longer than I was expecting. Three discs full of shenanigans, get rich quick schemes, macking on the ladies (who are hot Brazilians, of course), and occasional forays into animation, dream sequences, music videos, breaking the fourth wall (the entire last episode is one long semi-joke about taking people who were poor and giving them a taste of the high life and then forcing them to live their new life) and other post-modern touches. But it was generally enjoyable, and an interesting look at being both poor and black in a society that doesn't really care for either. Well, it's not like most societies like either.

Battlestar Galactica: Razor is a supersized BSG episode. Therefore I was thrilled. And it also allows me to talk up the wonders of interracial couplings (or more, as Soledad O'Brien shows), as Kendra Shaw is played by Stephanie Chaves-Jacobsen, a half-Portuguese, half-Chinese-Norwegian-English version of hotness. I've been told by people that she's possibly too thin, but I didn't notice that at all, as I was too busy being distracted by both her attractiveness and her Australian accent. Seriously, every woman should have a Commonwealth accent, because they just add to their being my fantasy. Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my way, I liked the action sequences, and even though I knew where the plot was going fairly early on (and the "twist" in the main plot was so cliched), I like the added character moments for the Adamas. And I will never, ever, ever complain about having more Michelle Forbes anywhere. And who didn't think that Starbuck was going to usher in the apocalypse, even if they didn't care about hanging out with Katee Sackhoff? Why the hell can't I stop talking about hot women in BSG? Because it's just impossible.

No comments: