11/12/2007

The Pipettes at Sonar 11/11

I have now done a show in Baltimore. Which, considering how long I've been in DC, is actually somewhat surprising. I know Spoon's played there at least once since I've been in DC. I just don't go to Baltimore very often. It's just not a very good city. Full of good TV though.

Setlist (fairly similar to the last time):

Dance & Boogie
Your Kisses Are Wasted on Me
Because It's Not Love (But It's Still a Feeling)
Baby, Don't Leave Me
It Hurts To See You Dance So Well
Tell Me What You Want
Guess Who Ran off with the Milkman
Your Love for Me
Why Did You Stay?
Sex
The Burning Ambition of Early Diuretics
Don't Forget Me
I Love You
True Love Waits Patiently for a Miracle
Judy
One Night Stand (dedicated to Jimmy Eat World, who were playing in the other venue inside Sonar and apparently were nice, even if the entire crowd couldn't believe that, and Riot Becki sounded sarcastic even as she denied being sarcastic)
Dirty Mind
Pull Shapes
--------------
ABC
We Are the Pipettes

They played for only about 55 minutes, a fairly short show, but still they went through almost everything I wanted to hear. I also couldn't find any pictures from the show. I may update at some point later if I do find some.

I think the band may have been tighter than the last time, but I had more fun at the Black Cat. Maybe it was that Smoosh was a far more awesome opener than American Atkins and the Express. Or just Nicole Atkins and the Sea. I certainly enjoyed some of her songs, but they lost me when they covered The Crystal Ship non-ironically. Although she did a fair job with it, she made me no longer able to say that I had never been at a concert where a band never covered The Doors without being insanely drunk, a covers show, or both. The Doors blow, and the worst thing about the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame was the Doors exhibit. Just a waste of everything. Anyway, The Maestro likes them, and after Nicole came out to sit at the merch table for a while before the Pipettes came out, he attempted to get her to sign his copy of their CD (purchased at the show), but failed due to the extremely hard to open plastic packaging. Damn that packaging.

Before the Pipettes actually came out, they were playing 60s novelty songs over the PA system, like The Purple People Eater, and then almost finishing with the Jetsons Theme, but they went into about half of the next song before they finally came out. Gwenno is a redhead now, but Rosay is still the hottest Pipette. And I will almost definitely never change that opinion. Unless I were to have a chat with Riot Becki. Intelligence is hot, y'all. As is looking like a librarian.

I didn't realize that there are still bars and clubs that allow smoking. Been spoiled by being in DC. I spent most of the next day with watery eyes and a very sore throat. That sore throat was only somewhat from yelling along to every song. I can do that when I don't have my throat destroyed by the smoke.

Douchebag of the concert: no, not the enormous guy in the Siragusa jersey who kept moving around in front of me during NAATS (but he didn't bother me at all during the Pipettes), or the couple who moved near me early in the set and then kept moving around in the back, never settling on one place (but that would just be petty). No, the douchebag of the concert: Me. Yes, I apparently can be the douchebag. First off, I was all ready to get extremely pissed at them for not telling me that the tickets were $5 cheaper at Sonar than at 9:30, the original venue. But they were nice and gave a refund at the door. But the main reason is that I was utterly exhausted (shows that end at midnight in Baltimore will do that), and I thought I would get donuts for work the next day. I woke up the next day, and about to leave, decided to move the cash back into my wallet, and realized I didn't have my driver's license. I started to search through my coat, my pants, and the rest of my apartment. Fifteen minutes later, I realized that I was potentially going to be late to work, and left. I finished my book (look for the review for that sometime this week (I'm so behind...)), and went to put my bookmark (interestingly, my Pipettes ticket from June) in the little pocket on my coat, realizing that there was something there, and pulled out my driver's license. Which would have been very hard to replace, as it has my parent's old address. I have no idea how hard it would be for me to deal with having to replace it. I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to drink, the bigger issue would be that I couldn't even go into bars with friends. And since I spent so much time searching for it, turning out to be in the first place I looked (just a different pocket), I didn't have time to get donuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To specify, I like NAatS, not The Doors.