4/06/2008

Peter & the Wolf, The Aura, & Running with Scissors

Peter & the Wolf is the Oscar winning stop-animated modern day short of the Prokofiev work. I like the little twists they added to the story, with the bird's balloon and the bullies. Made it seem much more interesting. And the animation is really impressive, although not up to the standards of Wallace and Gromit. Still, definitely watchable, and at only 30 minutes long, you should be able to find time to watch it yourself. If you aren't familiar with it, it's a great way to introduce yourself to one of the most famous pieces of music.

The Aura was the last film by Fabián Bielinsky, writer-director of the twisty Nine Queens. I think I thought it was about a guy who got migraines getting involved in a heist, but it was about an epileptic taxidermist with a photographic memory getting involved in a heist. It wasn't nearly as good as Nine Queens, and it never quite felt right to me.

Running with Scissors was depressing. Are there people out there who are that messed up? And how old was Gwyneth Paltrow's character supposed to be? It has a great cast, but it just made me uncomfortable throughout. I think that I just can't relate to it at all.

No comments: