2/02/2009

Caseus Archivelox: Jezebel

2002-01-18 - 11:45 p.m.
I did see "Jezebel" at Griffith though, and that was sort of eh. It did have some good lines though. It also had a great incredibly uncomfortable conversation. I like them because it reminds me of how I talk to women.
Julie: Oh Preston, you forgot your stick.
Preston: So I did. I forgot to use it, too.
Julie: So you did.
Right after Julie basically emasculated him. Funny funny.
Buck: Well, you talk mighty like a black abolitionist.
Preston: I think you know I'm no abolitionist. I believe the tide has turned against us. But I'll swim against that tide just as far as you will, Cantrell.
That was one of many lines that made me cringe. The movie was full of African-American characters with big bulgey eyes, and at least 90% of their lines were "Yessim" or the equivalent. And I'm supposed to sympathize when these slave-owning characters get killed or die? Hell, I'm happy they die. Stupid racist jerks.
Then they had some silly "Yellow Jack" intertitles, and it was sillily orchestrated.
All in all, a silly movie, but Bette Davis was good. If I were Preston, though, I would have stayed up North and kept Amy. Bette Davis's eyes are too prominent and her chin is too small.

No comments: