3/22/2009

The Broken West & A.C. Newman at the Black Cat 3/18

I was in the front row for the concert. My ears were ringing for quite some time after The Broken West's set. Here's the songs that I remembered... Sigh... I just didn't take anything down.

Down in the Valley
On the Bubble
Ambuscade
Auctioneer
Gwen, Now and Then
House of Lies
Got It Bad
Back in Your Head (Tegan & Sara cover)

The only other problem with being up front was that vocals were kind of hard to hear, so with The Broken West's similarity in songs, I had problems telling the difference. That said, I really enjoyed the set, and apparently, they've been playing that Tegan and Sara cover all during the tour. I did not recognize it. I'm not sure anyone else from my friends at the concert enjoyed the set as much as I did.

I got a setlist for A.C. Well, I took a picture and then gave it to someone else, because what am I going to do with a setlist? I have to say that knowing I was going to get the first three tracks from The Slow Wonder sprinkled in the set before worrying throughout whether I'd get to hear them was nice. Secretarial and The Town Halo, among pretty much all the tracks from the new album, were better live than in recorded versions. Well, maybe more accurately, seeing Carl live playing these tracks made me appreciate him more. Rockin' setlist action follows:

There Are Maybe Ten or Twelve
Miracle Drug
Like a Hitman, Like a Dancer
Prophets
Secretarial
The Heartbreak Rides
The Cloud Prayer
The Palace at 4 AM
All of My Days & All of My Days Off
Young Atlantis
Drink to Me, Babe, Then
The Collected Works
The Changeling (Get Guilty)
Submarines of Stockholm
On the Table
-------------
Come Crash
The Town Halo

Really, quite a good set, and very similar to their set the next night at The Cradle that my friend Alicia was at. And I'm getting recordings of that one and the Broken West set. Actually, they were the same sets. Unfortunately, I won't get Carl talking about how much he loves D.C. and his encouraging of people to do glow-in-the-dark shooters. Yeah, someone requested Drink to Me, Babe, Then early, and he said wait ten minutes and then told them to do some shooters, but they held off, and so others did some non-glow-in-the-dark shooters. He was disappointed. As was I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw them play in Pontiac, Mich. last night and really enjoyed it. I'd never heard Broken West before and like their live sound (since heard their albums and still prefer the live sound). As for A.C.'s band they really delivered a great set. All around excellent and exuberant show.