3/15/2009

Caseus Archivelox: The Haunting

2002-02-28
This was an ultimately disappointing film, as you hyped it up too much. It was effective, and the camera angles and sound design were good, but it was just a simple haunted house tale. Not that it was not incredibly influential upon later haunted house films, but I never really identified with any of the characters. I am not an insane, possibly matricidal spinster like Nell, or a psychic like Theodora, or a psychic investigator like Dr. Markway, or a money-grabbing youth like Luke. I never was enough into the movie to care what happens to them. And when the house manipulated Markway’s wife into just happening to show up at the two times she does after her disappearance, it rings hollow from a plot standpoint.

Wise is an obviously talented director, and it causes me to question whether I am jaded or whether the movie has not aged well. I think that it is a combination of the two, and thus I blame the remake for ruining this movie. The understated lesbianism in the movie is much better than the more obvious version in the remake. In some ways, the more obvious lesbianism detracts from the struggle for Nell between the humans and the house as it makes it more of a sexual attraction than when that is there but not emphasized.

Another problem with the movie is that the house turned bad because of what occurred on the house grounds as much as it did for what occurred within the house. I think that haunted house movies work better when the moviemakers acknowledge the silliness and make the house built over an old Indian burial ground. The lack of a real supernatural reason for the hauntings make me more likely to think that it is all within their heads and less scary for a (more) sane viewer.

No comments: