8/10/2009

Run for Cover at Black Cat 8/1

Since none of these bands will ever play again in the forms that they did on this night, it's kinda hard to write a lot about their musicianship or anything like that. So just quick comments on the bands I saw.

The Cherry Bombs (The Runaways/Joan Jett/Lita Ford) had the best line in the night: after playing Cherry Bomb, the one Runaways song that anyone knows, "Lita Ford" said they were only going to play their hits, and then no one else in the band seemed to know what to play next so they had to pass it off to "Joan Jett" to play some of her songs. Fairly accurate representation, but nothing all too special.

Bad Medicine (Bon Jovi) was awesome. Extremely tight set, played the hits, and their Bon Jovi was outstanding. I was able to sing along to every single word of the set. Ms. Albright was disturbed (and possibly disgusted) by my ability to sing along. If I actually liked Bon Jovi, it might have been the set of the night, but the crowd was very into it.

Blonde on Blonde (Blondie) had a "Blondie" who couldn't sing the songs. Sorry. You almost were able to do Call Me, but nope.

Guided by Vices (Guided by Voices) was accurate to the actual band, but were just a drunken mess. Played some of the best GBV songs of the mid-period, but didn't play Kicker of Elves, for which I am (probably inordinately) naming them the worst band I saw, by far.

The Fly Bys (Top Gun) kinda broke the mold as it was more of a skit rather than music. And the music was shite. I hate Top Gun. It is a terrible film and the music is terrible. So screw you guys for getting Take My Breath Away in my head from now until I get something better in my head. Also, your "skits" weren't funny. And you took too long. But you get points for costuming.

Five Imaginary Boys (The Cure) went on too long. It was almost 1 am, and both Ms. Albright and I were exhausted. Also, Lovesong is just eh. You went on too long. And you brought nothing to the songs. Your lead singer did look slightly like Robert Smith, but that was it. Had it not been the Cure, you might have met Guided by Vices at the bottom.

And then finally, the band I went to see (although I knew someone in Bon Jovi as well): Geezer (Weezer as done by old people). My roommate was the lead singer (so I'm biased again). Look, maybe I just love Weezer more than the other bands, but they really were the best. Great costumes, the old people talking in place of the talky bits of Undone were funny, El Scorcho is a fun song to sing (too bad the music isn't all that fun, otherwise I'd do it Rock Band all the time), The Good Life was a perfect choice, and Surf-Wax America was a great set-ender.

No comments: