3/20/2006

Afterlife & The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

Afterlife is another heartbreaking Japanese film. Not quite as heartbreaking as Dolls, as it isn't a continually depressing film, just the entire context of only having one memory for eternity. It's a very interesting idea, and it is very well executed. It is a movie that is designed entirely to make you think about life and death. Plus, you have the concept of films capturing memories, even if the very filming makes them subjective. This is exactly the type of movie I love. A meditation of life, death, memory, and filmmaking. And it's allowed to linger on everything. Don't read the rest of this paragraph unless you've seen this movie, which I honestly can't recommend enough. And the ending of the movie is pretty sad as well, with the final memory being somewhat open to interpretation, but basically that while a character's memory is that he has had an effect on people, with the memory being the filming of his memory, the effect of his being in the purgatory is having on others is very important to them. The idea of only one memory forever depresses me, but maybe because I can't think of one I'd want to keep forever and forget all of the rest. Well, maybe one, even if that one led to one of the worst memories. That always seems to happen to me.

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie has Jeffrey Tambor, Scarlett Johansson, Alec Baldwin, and David Hasselhoff. They're all enjoyable. And the movie is 90 minutes of ridiculous. Enjoyable, in a very immature way. The pirates were also very funny. I love that I'm perfectly happy watching an amazingly powerful movie like Afterlife, and following it up with a ridiculous kids cartoon. I'm a definitely silly person. Yay me!

No comments: