3/27/2006

Masculin Feminin, Brazil, & Curdled

Masculin Feminin has a kick-ass soundtrack. I need some Chantal Goya. The movie is definitely a mix of Godard's earlier somewhat strange and later insane films, with some strange structural bits (being in "15 acts") and yet it actually follows a sensical plot (as much as Godard ever really does). Definitely a great film. And I also enjoyed the little bit with General Doinel. Yay for Godard giving a little pinch to Truffaut. Heh.

Brazil is one of those cult films that basically is strange almost entirely for the sake of being strange. Then again, it is a Terry Gilliam film. By far the worst part was Kim Greist. It was otherwise an interesting movie. Not quite the brilliant film I've been led to believe, especially after Gilliam's truly brilliant dystopian sci-fi of Twelve Monkeys. Brazil's occasionally absolutely outstanding, and occasionally a complete and total mess. Actually, that describes most of his work. It's just the different amount of mess that makes the difference. I still don't understand how I hadn't seen it yet. Oh well, that's been remedied.

Curdled probably deserved to be forgotten, even if it is a sick little film that made me laugh. Plus, there was a lot about the guillotine. Strange that that appears in two of the movies I watched this weekend, especially since neither was about the French Revolution. This included the almost worst Baldwin. If Stephen Baldwin hadn't gone insane, he'd be the worst one. Too bad Adam Baldwin isn't actually a Baldwin brother. But he's by far my favorite Baldwin.

No comments: