5/21/2006

Pom Poko

Pom Poko suffers from overlength, its episodic nature, and an obsession with raccoon testicles. But the ending is surprisingly touching, after I felt like the movie just wouldn't end. Plus, the movie is utterly obsessed with raccoon testicles. And their use as weapons. If I were a person, attacked by raccoon testicles, I would freak out. There are some very funny things, and the ending is great. It's just the long, episodic film beginning and middle that detract. Unless I hadn't become familiar with the signifigance of Tanuki after the bizarre (from a non-Japanese standpoint) use in Super Mario Brothers 3 (plus the leaves), I would probably have been entirely confused. The message of the film, that protecting the environment is important, is a very important message, and if you can handle the use of testicles as weapons, and you think that your kids could handle it, then it's great. I probably could have mentioned raccoon testicles being used as weapons a few more times.

No comments: