6/13/2006

The Purple Rose of Cairo, Margaret Cho: Revolution, & Cross of Iron

The Purple Rose of Cairo is sweet and depressing. And the ending was extremely sad. Farrow was great, as was Jeff Daniels. It's definitely a little out of place with some of his more serious films and out of place with his comedies. I gotta love all the scenes in the film in the film. Very well done, Woody, very well done.

CHO Revolution or Margaret Cho: Revolution or whatever was funny, although it really does go over the same ground as a lot of her other comedy routines. It was funny, but just didn't work as well as her earlier ones. Although I guess I should just say I'm the One That I Want, since I haven't seen Notorious C.H.O. That's in the future, along with Assassin.

Cross of Iron is Sam Peckinpah doing the Eastern front, the most violent and deadly front in the war. Well, at least it was much worse than the Western front. As it's a typical Peckinpah film, there're needless slow motion shots, gratuitous violence and ummm, a "de-penis-tration"... I only wish I had come up with that word. It's a brilliant word. And a horrible thing to see. Teeth shouldn't be used. And, of course, the entire movie is really freakin' anti-war. I am very happy that I saw the full version rather than the bastardized one from the DVD released here. What's up with that? You're supposed to have a longer cut on the DVD not a shorter one. What the hell?

No comments: