11/09/2008

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters & Ace in the Hole

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters might be funnier if I had enjoyed the show, but I've been told by some others that the movie isn't particularly funny for those who have enjoyed the show. I mean, just not particularly funny, and, like most of the Adult Swim shows, it's weird for its own sake. Occasionally that can be extremely funny (Harvey Birdman and the like), and other times it's like this. And the title? If you find that funny, maybe you'd like it. But it just goes to show that the entire movie is full of over-the-top things that someone high might find funny. But I was definitely not high.

Ace in the Hole is a dark, dark satire from Billy Wilder. Man, I really didn't expect it to be that evil. It's great though. I liked the reference to Floyd Collins, who I used to hear about all the time when I worked at the Natural History Museum, so that was an added nice touch for me. But Kirk Douglas makes the film as a drunk former big city journalist stuck in Albuquerque who milks a trapped caver as an attempt to get back to working in New York. And of course, everything goes wrong and it becomes a media circus.

No comments: