11/02/2008

The Magnetic Fields at Lisner Auditorium 10/26

I'm not actually sure what my first experience was with The MF, but it was definitely in college, during which time I picked up a couple of their albums on CD (but not 69 Love Songs, which I had most of on mp3, but didn't own because I hadn't yet just started buying CDs from the labels themselves, and I never could find the box at record stores when I had the cash). I got 69 Love Songs the summer after graduating when I had a job and too much money to spend, and a deep and abiding love for MF was only strengthened. Due to Merritt's rumored (to me at the time, I wasn't as news hungry about things other than my hatred for Bush) reclusiveness, I just put them in a list of bands I would never see live and just went on with my life. When I was surprised by the release of i, I happily picked it up and was extremely happy with most of the album, with it very reminiscent of the more acoustic tracks from 69 Love Songs, rather than what I had originally fallen in love with, the tracks like Take Ecstasy with Me and The Flowers She Sent and the Flowers She Said She Sent and All the Umbrellas in London. But I liked it, and again lamented the lack of touring. Fast forward a few years, past the weird Chinese operas (most of which is a footnote at best in Merritt's career), and I start hearing about his new album, a tribute to Jesus and Mary Chain. Being a huge fan of theirs (and recognizing that Merritt clearly was from the drum beat of When You Were My Baby among others), I was kind of excited about it, but the actual release was kind of disappointing. The noise had gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the lyrics.

But then I heard that they were actually going to be touring this album. Outside of New York City. And I got more excited. Even if I didn't like the most recent album, he was guaranteed to play stuff from earlier albums, along with the 6ths and Gothic Archies songs that would work. So I then promptly forgot about it until a friend reminded me. And then promptly forgot about until said friend reminded me again in front of a group of people who all also wanted to go. So we went. I think there ended up being at least thirteen people I have talked to there, along with an insane amount of people that I've seen at shows and around the city, at the show.

The opening act was one Shugo Tokumaru, who was actually really impressive. Acoustic, singing so quietly it took me a couple of songs before I realized he was singing in Japanese (although introducing himself in a very thick accent and saying he was from Tokyo should have tipped me off), and definitely a nice surprise. I do sort of wish that Portastatic had opened for him, but eh, I can't have everything. For those of you who would like to see what would happen if Portastatic opened for The Magnetic Fields, go here for some videos.

The show itself was a nice, low-key affair. I like sitting shows. Also, being able to hear a pin drop (aka, some random guy coughing (not, me, I could hear myself coughing each and every time I did so)) was nice. Sure, Stephin and Claudia were snippy with each other, but after almost losing their instruments in Philadelphia and it being the last day of the tour, of course they were going to be snippy. Most of it was funny, especially their argument about the Olsen twins. Stephin was sick, and clearly irritated with the audience, especially one dude with a camera, who wins douchebag of the show for that (although the people who left after the first set, what the hell people?). The set list was extremely varied, and while it didn't include all my favorites from the early synthpop days, it had my three favorite MF tracks (Yeah! Oh Yeah!, Take Ecstasy with Me, and one that I won't name due to it making abundantly clear that I'm a sap), so I enjoyed it.

Setlist, based on here with corrections along with band.

When I'm out of Town (The 6ths)
No One Will Ever Love You (Magnetic Fields)
California Girls (Magnetic Fields)
Walking My Gargoyle (The Gothic Archies)
The Nun's Litany (Magnetic Fields)
All My Little Words (Magnetic Fields)
Old Fools (Magnetic Fields)
I Don't Believe You (Magnetic Fields)
Dreams Anymore (Magnetic Fields)
This Little Ukulele (Stephin Merritt)
I Don't Love You Anymore (Magnetic Fields)
Xavier Says (Magnetic Fields)
Zombie Boy (Magnetic Fields)
Papa Was a Rodeo (Magnetic Fields)

Intermission

Lonely Highway (Magnetic Fields)
Take Ecstasy with Me (Magnetic Fields)
Courtesans (Magnetic Fields)
Crows (Gothic Archies)
The Tiny Goat (Gothic Archies)
Too Drunk To Dream (Magnetic Fields)
The Book of Love (Magnetic Fields)
Give Me Back My Dreams (The 6ths)
Drive On, Driver (Magnetic Fields)
What A Fucking Lovely Day (Stephin Merritt)
Yeah! Oh Yeah! (Magnetic Fields)
It's Only Time (Magnetic Fields)

Encore

Washington, DC (Magnetic Fields) (well, at least part of it)
Grand Canyon (Magnetic Fields)

1 comment:

Levi Chronister said...

What, no Future Bible Heroes?