11/09/2008

Bishop Allen at the Black Cat 11/1

I'm a little behind. Anyway, a large group ended up at the Black Cat to see Bishop Allen. As with the last time they were here in May, they didn't play long enough. But they did play for an hour including the encore break, so that was 10 minutes more. Hey, Bishop Allen: you have two (soon to be three) albums, and around 10 other EPs of original material (one was live and at least a couple of them were rerecorded for the most recent album): you can play longer. I think most would agree. Set was pretty good, and the new songs only stuck out in that I couldn't sing along to them until the chorus had repeated. Definitely looking forward to Grrr..., the new album which should be out in February.

Songs played included: The Monitor, Middle Management, Like Castanets, Click Click Click Click, The Same Fire, and the encore finished with Butterfly Nets. Which made Ms. Albright happy, with her ukulele. Even though the ukulele broke halfway through and the song had to be finished on guitar.

Drink Up Buttercup sucked ass though. They were like a drunken carnival that sunk to the bottom of the sea and started to sing sea shanties. Just crap. According to this guy who agreed with me on Drink Up Buttercup (and this guy who liked that dreck), Electric Owl was actually pretty good. I kind of enjoyed my pre-show event (sushi and then candy), so I guess I'll have to deal with it. And here's a video of Middle Management (AKA the Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist trailer song).

No comments: