5/18/2009

Caseus Archivelox: Mifune & All about Eve

2002-04-17 - 10:16 p.m.
When I came back to my room, I finished off the first thing I taped yesterday, Mifune. AKA Dogme 3. Iben Hjelje (High Fidelity) was really good in it, but the movie suffers from the Dogme filmmaking style. And from an almost unrelentingly sad script full of many unsympathetic characters. At least until the main character gets attacked by prostitutes and dressed up in woman's clothes. That was useful. I haven't enjoyed anything I've seen from any Dogme film. Or anything directed by anyone who has done a Dogme film besides Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark. At least of which I can think.

Then All About Eve again. One of the most brilliant showbusiness movies of all time. Maybe even the best. I can't think of any movies about plays or movies that are better. Few movies are almost perfect. Fewer are perfect. This is one of the few. Even with an annoying rear projection of Anne Baxter and George Sanders walking down the street. But the acting, the script, the directing. George Sanders is one of the great actors of the 40s and 50s. He was great in Rebecca, Foreign Correspondent, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Ivanhoe. The movie was just incredibly good. And I of course recommend it to all lovers of cinema. I also have to eat my words about Marilyn Monroe. She has her talents as an actress. I don't think she is the most beautiful woman of all time, but she has comedic talent.

No comments: