5/18/2009

Caseus Archivelox: Spider-Man

2002-05-05 - 2:21 a.m.
I went to see Spider-Man tonight. Pretty darn good. Much better than most movies from last summer. I think the only movie I spent money on last summer was Planet of the Apes. I of course regret that. Bad movie. Bad. Spider-Man had some cheezy lines, and was pretty predictable. The scene where the New Yorkers attack the Green Goblin wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Lucy Lawless had a brief scene in it, even though she was not mentioned on the IMDB. [Ed. note: This has since been fixed.] Which is weird, because she was credited in the film. The special effects were, as advertised, very touch and go, with some impressive parts, but most were obviously fake. But then again, CGI is pretty easy to spot for someone who has seen a lot of it. And for someone who has written a paper about it, it's even easier. Oh, sure, the paper was pretty bad, but I did write one. About three and a half years ago. I wish I had been able to wait until The Phantom Menace had come out, so I could have trashed that in my paper, but I just had to trash Titanic instead. Oh well.

Back to Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire was really good in it. Kirsten Dunst's nipples are perky. Willem Dafoe continues to be one of my favorite actors currently working. The scene where he does both Osborn and the Green Goblin into the mirror is great. James Franco continues to look just like James Dean. It's freaky, but at least he was really good in that movie about Dean. Even when he's not playing Dean, he just channels him. He's good. J.K. Simmons as Jameson chewed the scenery well. Ted Raimi was fun. Macy Gray sucks.

For some disturbing Sam Raimi trivia, apparently he has seen Kevin Costner fully frontally nude, when filming for For Love of the Game, in a scene that was cut out. Because his penis was hideous. Or they just need to have a PG-13 film. Costner is one of those actors that I hate with a vengeance, even if I like some of his work. The Postman was one of the worst films I have seen in a long time as well. I mean, it wasn't as bad as Battlefield Earth (not much is), and I haven't seen Glitter, but it was still pretty darn bad. He was good in Silverado, JFK, Bull Durham, and Field of Dreams. Not much else. And The Untouchables is so overrated. He has sucked in most of his films. I couldn't make it through 3000 Miles to Graceland, because it was just terrible. Or maybe it was because I was bored and playing computer games at the same time. That could be more of the reason, but the parts I saw were bad.

No comments: