7/28/2005

The Company of Wolves & Possession

The Company of Wolves is an interesting version of the Little Red Riding Hood story, with the sexual overtones brought to the fore. It's a fairly good werewolf story, with some good special effects, although I never need to see saggy hairy old lady breasts again thank you very much Neil Jordan. Pretty creepy when Stephen Rea starts to pull the skin off his face. It was also sometimes a little confusing. Clearly from a source with a lot more complicated ideas than were able to be shown in a movie.

Possession would have been better without Gwyneth Paltrow. Rest of the cast is good to great (I really like Aaron Eckhart and Jeremy Northam, and my undying respect for Jennifer Ehle for Elizabeth Bennet continues), but her accent just gets annoying. Plus, really, and as a guy confident in his heterosexuality, why did it take so long for her to go for Aaron? Smoldering good looks and intelligence, plus a love for crappy 19th century poetry? Isn't he just about every woman's dream? (Interesting side note, today I said that every single drunk girl with brown eyes, if given the chance, will play Brown-Eyed Girl on a bar's jukebox, and my coworker said she would have played it had the bartender not explicitly forbade her from doing so because too many do. Not that that has anything to do with it, but just that I think I'm batting two for two on generalizations about women today!) Also, it just reminded me so much of a good version of The Da Vinci Code without the annoying "This is all true and the Catholic Church can suck it" crap. Plus, I bet the book is really well written. And David Henry Hwang finally writes a script for a movie that I've seen after the excellent M. Butterfly. Well, maybe not excellent, but at least fascinating. Really, who doesn't at least notice that the person you're having buttsex with has a penis? Isn't it fairly likely that it might just flop around a little? Just a little?

Ok, this is just a little gay for me now. I mean, I didn't even think Gwyneth is that attractive in this, and her English accent was much better in Sliding Doors. Damnit. Jennifer Ehle is attractive (and from Winston-Salem???) and Lena Headey reminded me of my love for women in glasses (and that I need to see Waterland, which needs to come out on DVD already damnit, and she's in The Brothers Grimm...). There. That's much better.

No comments: