1/03/2006

Carmen Jones, Arrested Development, and McGriddles

Carmen Jones is an outstanding retelling of Carmen set in the World War II-era South (I'm not entirely sure where it is supposed to be) and Chicago. It's rightly praised for almost everything. My only complaints are the use of racial patois in opera music. It doesn't seem right at all. Plus, I do sort of wish that they had gotten black opera singers instead of using Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte. Having said that, they were excellent in their lip-syncing performances. And I certainly cannot recommend many things more than Carmen Jones's Dat's Love. Yeah, original version is one of those perfect songs, but to see Dorothy Dandridge vamping around a cafeteria singing it and ordering a sandwich is one of those things that is just worth watching the entire movie for. I also feel a lot better knowing that I was doing the exact same thing that Michael Wilbon was doing this evening. Skipping the beginning of the FSU-PSU game to watch this. It was the first time it had ever been shown on TCM, and for this groundbreaking film, including Saul Bass's first ever title sequence, there is no reason not to see it. Also on TCM this month, which excites me immensely, is a tribute to Hayao Miyazaki, which includes some of the movies he has written and I haven't seen. Yay TCM!

Arrested Development this week was the best episode of this season. So many, many things were just perfect. I can't even go into how many things just made it the funniest show this season. All of the pokes at Faux, though, may have been the highlights. That this show is being cancelled is a crime. And what was up putting a new episode up against the ending of the OSU-Notre Dame game? I completely missed it live, you bastards.

I note this Onion AV Club link with only this: McGriddles are ridiculously good. I don't know why. They're everything I should hate. And I hated them until I actually tasted one. Now they make me want to go to McDonald's for breakfast.

No comments: