1/15/2006

Interiors

Interiors is basically Woody Allen trying to be like Bergman, but failing. He also made better movies in the same style later, with Manhattan and Hannah and Her Sisters vastly superior. It's not a terrible movie, just utterly useless. The non-use of non-diegetic music is somewhat disconcerting, at least until I realized that was what was bothering me. Then I realized what was really disconcerting about the movie. I didn't like any of the characters except for Sam Waterston. All the others were, I think, Allen's idea of what Bergman's characters are like, except that he doesn't add any of the reasons why any of Bergman's characters are actual people. Although the acting is good, and it's a well-made movie, I just didn't get anything enjoyable out of it. The title was appropriate though.

No comments: