1/25/2006

Lianna & The Aristocrats

Lianna was an interesting and informative look at what happens when a woman realizes almost too late in life that she's a lesbian. John Sayles's second movie is pretty fascinating, as a look at how lesbians were viewed in the late 70s-early 80s. Just about my only problem with the movie is the gratuitous nudity. Of which there's a lot. And entirely unneeded. Maybe they should take my man card away. It's a typical great Sayles film, with a humanist streak that marks his best work. I love that his characters always act human, always speak normally. The awkwardness of the scenes after she came out just seemed so real. At least I imagine so. I'm not entirely familiar with what it's like to come out. Not that I plan on ever having that experience, because I'm straight. Just wanted to make that clear after my complaint about gratuitous nudity.

The Aristocrats is, by far, the filthiest movie I can imagine. Maybe there's a German Scheiße movie with a bit of pedophilia and snuff rolled in... but I don't know if those exist. Well, they probably do, but I don't know what that would be like. The movie itself is worth it for Bob Saget. Who is the funniest mf on the planet when it comes to filth. And the dirty aspects of people you don't normally think are dirty was just an added bonus. I watched it with a friend who kept asking me who the comedians were but the best part was watching her freak out when there was a particularly disgusting thing said. Or, even better, when a particularly disgusting thing was mimed. I don't need to see another person mime fisting or a huge penis for a while. Pretty sickly funny movie. It started to blend together. I did appreciate Paul Reiser bringing up the same problem I have with the title of the movie. I haven't even seen The Aristocats. After the movie I gave her a brief history lesson of censorship in movies. I could have gone into more detail, but it was getting sort of late. But if anyone wants a long discussion of censorship, then just bring it up with a little bit of time and just let me rant. Now, if only I could find someone who is really impressed with that...

No comments: