2/16/2006

The Advocate & (Bloody) Brigadoon (!)

The Advocate is full of baudy ribald naughtiness. That much redundancy is completely necessary for all the sex and nudity in this movie. And it's cut down from an NC-17 version? I wish they'd release that version in the US. Colin Firth is in it, as is Ian Holm, and they give great performances that make the movie much more than an insane amount of nudity. To a certain extent I just couldn't get past all of it, but it was occasionally very very funny, and I like that the ass gets away with it.

Brigadoon has some of the worst Scottish accents I've heard in a film. What was the point of making Cyd Charisse a Scottish lady? They couldn't find one single person who can sing and dance and can do a passable Scottish brogue? Oh, wait, she was dubbed. It's not like Brigadoon hadn't been done on stage before. Stupid Hollywood. Plus, I hate that some of the lyrics were too risque for the movies then. I need me some double entendres and obvious sex infused lyrics. Damnit. With all of that, it's still a visually impressive film, because of Minelli's directing, Gene Kelly's dancing, and a lot of very long shots of dancing and singing. Plus, whenever I watch a musical I've never seen before, there's always that moment when I realize that some song I'm pretty familiar with is from it. In this case, of course, it's "Almost like Being in Love". I really didn't know it was from Brigadoon.

No comments: