2/21/2006

Cat Ballou, Modern Romance, & Kafka on the Shore

Cat Ballou is terrible. Nothing remotely worthwhile. Eesh. Well, occasionally Lee Marvin makes something somewhat funny about being a drunk, but he frequently goes too far. Anyway, a main problem with the movie is the overuse of "comedic" fast-speed. It isn't funny. Also, this movie apparently killed Nat King Cole.

Modern Romance probably would have been better without the smoove jazz of You Are So Beautiful to Me over the opening credits. That song sucks anyway, and that version was terrible. Well, every version sucks. I can't think of a version that doesn't suck. Once you ignore that song, though, it's hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Maybe I shouldn't have found it as funny as I did. It's not like I don't have occasionally very damaged relationships. I do tend to avoid wandering around my apartment on 'ludes though. Maybe I should because it's very funny. I also need a bird. And some albums. I can do that with CDs though. It's also very nice to see Super Dave Osborne. Yeah, he's Albert Brooks's brother, but I like to see him act anyway. The fact that stalking is equated with the ultimate love is interesting. I tend to agree.

Kafka on the Shore was amazing. (Oh my god, he's actually talking about a book or music? What the hell is wrong?) Still not as good as Norwegian Wood, but I think it's probably Murakami's best weird story. I wasn't sure where it was going, but when it really started to race, it was so very very good. I probably need to reread some of his earlier works, but I have so many other books I need to read first. Yeah, this one was a little more obsessed with sex than the others, but then again, a main character is a 15 year old guy who keeps meeting women. Or maybe it's just that Murakami is getting older and thinking more about sex.

No comments: