1/26/2009

Caseus Archivelox: Flirting

2001-12-31 - 5:58 p.m.
This afternoon I saw a movie I had really enjoyed the first time I saw it: "Flirting" a 1991 film with Noah Taylor (from both "Almost Famous" (the manager) and "Tomb Raider" (does it matter? I can't remember who any of them are)), Nicole Kidman (better than in that crappy movie that people keep putting on their best of the year lists, even one that says "10) "Moulin Rouge" Somebody needs to get Baz Luhrmann out of the editing room. Somebody needs to tell him that it's insane to set up one visually encrusted shot after another and then not give us time to drink it in. But like his previous film, "William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet," this whacked-out musical annoyed the hell out of me and then stayed in my head for weeks. No other movie this year believes in its own wackiness the way "Moulin Rouge" does, and that gives it the courage of its heart-on-the-sleeve convictions. You could say Luhrmann's gargantuan production design is a way of disguising the simple story at its core, except that it never obscures the charm of Ewan MacGregor and Nicole Kidman, or keeps their tale of doomed love from getting to us. The most disciplined of undisciplined moviemakers, Luhrmann has made something like a speed freak's version of grand opera." I almost agree with it, except where it says that Luhrmann's style never gets in the way of the story), Thandie Newton (one reason why I thought MI:2 could have been good, but was sorely disappointed), and another girl I recognized this time around, Naomi Watts.
The only problem with it was that it was on WE so it was edited. Some sort of jumpy scenes.
Beh.

No comments: