7/14/2009

I Shot Jesse James & The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I Shot Jesse James is actually Samuel Fuller's first film. As such, it's of interest mainly as a curio, because it's certainly not a good film, and the clear change to the facts of his life (made even more explicit by watching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford almost immediately after) made me appreciate it less. However, it's interesting to see how much of Fuller's style was already existent in his first film. The longer titled one is a pretty film and the acting was much better, but the earlier film still has a bit of charm, partially because it was so much shorter and focused. I bet the book was pretty good though. I like that Brad Pitt is willing to do films like this. Because I like Brad Pitt.

No comments: