10/16/2005

The Corner, Veronica Mars Season 1, & Blood for Dracula

The Corner was excellent. And depressing. And excellent. But very, very depressing. The depressingness was redeemed somewhat by the epilogue filmed in the present day (as of the filming). Very good performances from everyone. Especially the makeup team who really freaked me out with those infected track marks. Much freakier than Requiem for a Dream. Took me a while to figure out when it was set. Or maybe I just missed that somewhere. Also strange to see Daniels and Freamon being drug addicts. When DeAndre was talking back to Marvin, I just wanted him to stand up and be all threatening like in the Wire. Man I miss that show.

Veronica Mars Season 1 was really good. Sort of wound up all the loose ends, but I'm sure that when I finally get around to watching the second season I'll have those loose ends become much bigger. I didn't like the fight scene at the end, as it was sort of a cop-out after that great season. And it was great to see Kyle Secor and Harry Hamlin being very creepy and threatening. I also liked the little Clash of the Titans references. I know that movie is terrible, but man, I just really like it. And anything that reminds me of Homicide is good. Very well plotted and only somewhat strained a little bit of believability.

Blood for Dracula has a great scenery chewing performance from Udo Kier and a horrendously bad New York accent by Joe Dallesandro after every other character has at least some sort of European one. I know it's silly to complain because it's not like it's the only movie where his accent is completely out of place. At least we have Udo Kier turning different colors and saying "wirgins" (and, of course, the flesh wounds at the end). And there's Joe Dallesandro being both a communist and a vampire expert. Somehow. Plus, he likes taking the characters virginity in rough ways. Not exactly the best hero for the movie. I was also annoyed by the messing with the vampire mythology, but I guess very few things have it all down to my exacting standards. And the incestuous lesbianism seemed completely unnecessary. "Wirgins". Hee. The subtext of vampirism being about not only sex but also class was an added touch I liked though. "Wirgins" though. Still can't help giggling at that.

No comments: