12/04/2005

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Undertow, A Raisin in the Sun, Beau Travail, & Ikiru

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was very interesting, and felt closer to the book in tone than Gene Wilder's, but the songs were better in the 70s version. Oompah, Loompa, Doopidie-do, I've got another riddle for you. Can't get better than that. It almost made me want to have some chocolate, except that I really don't get nearly as much pleasure out of plain chocolate as almost anyone else.
Undertow was a strange movie, with extended bits that kept me from thinking that Jamie Bell is English, but then I'd get a look at him and think Billy Elliot, and stop believing him as a Southerner. And then he convinces me he's a Southerner again. Great performance from him. Not sure about it otherwise though, because it dragged in parts.
A Raisin in the Sun was dated, but otherwise an interesting play. Mainly suffered from Sidney Poitier's overacting. Yeah, you heard me right, he overacted his way through this.
Beau Travail sucked. Only interesting thing was the music in the club scenes, and the attractive girls in the club scenes. So basically, if you took the club scenes and made them longer and gave them some sort of plot, I would have enjoyed it much more.
Ikiru was outstanding, and stands as probably the best anti-bureaucracy film of all time. An outstanding performance from Shimizu, but really, Kurosawa just made himself another masterpiece. So many of his films are amazing. Made me want to go out and see if I could go remove some bureaucracy from Washington, but then I realized that I probably couldn't do much unless I knew some people in power. And I don't yet.

No comments: