12/26/2005

The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera was crap. I'm not sure whether it was just that the songs get on my nerves or what, but I didn't enjoy anything. Emmy Rossum clearly is very talented, but the overproduction of the music that is inherent in any Andrew Lloyd Webber musical hides her voice in too many effects. Too bombastic. The fault goes to two people: ALW (who sucks) and Joel Schumacher who never met a movie he couldn't make into a mess. Plus, it's godawful long. So long that it causes me pain. I can't believe I sat through it on the stage. At least I didn't have to see stupid CGI effects on stage. The more I hear the score of any ALW musical, the more I'm convinced that only unmusical people like his crap. The only musical of his that I like is Joseph, which has the benefit of being both his first and shortest. Plus, it has Tim Rice's lyrics, so it's not entirely ALW. But man, this movie just really sucks. And Raoul is just a poor man's Ewan McGregor. I'm also pretty sure everyone is lipsynching. Couldn't they at least have tried a little harder? Too many edits as well.

No comments: