4/22/2006

Constantine & Breakfast on Pluto

Constantine is interesting from the standpoint of a good comic being ruined by a bad movie version. The problem is that it isn't nearly bad enough to be completely ignored. Or even so bad it's good. It's just a mediocre movie. And whenever I hear about the Spear of Destiny, all I think about is killing Nazis in Wolfenstein. Why were there no Nazis? I want to see more Nazis die. The movie is much better than I was expecting, but the myriad changes to the comic are annoying to say the least. At least it's much better than I was expecting, even if it isn't actually good.

Breakfast on Pluto is goofy fun punctuated by violence. Strange little film, and it doesn't entirely work. Then again, neither did The Butcher Boy, McCabe and Mr. Jordan's earlier collaboration, and I liked that one as well. But Cillian Murphy is outstanding. Movie's a little long though. Full of mostly terrible music that works anyway as well. It's definitely worth watching. Everything bad about it was matched by something that overcomes it. Good movies can do that. Or just ignore the whole doing something that doesn't work in the first place.

No comments: