4/29/2006

Kings and Queen, Broken Flowers, & The Memory of a Killer

Kings and Queen is a very long French film that was highly praised by many critics. It's also just eh. I didn't like the changes in tone, I didn't like any of the characters, and I just didn't like the film that much. That said, it wasn't terrible, just eh.

Broken Flowers was also highly praised by many critics, but it also was just eh. Unless you like surprise full frontal nudity. And who doesn't, really? Bill Murray seemed to play Bill Murray, and the film just didn't seem to click. Dunno what's up with that. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for the films. Or maybe it's just that I am not in the mood for watching movies right now. I've only seen one this week so far. My DVR is getting close to being filled to capacity. I need to start emptying it. That's clearly what the problem is. I'd prefer to have more free time.

The Memory of a Killer is a pretty good thriller. I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it as much because it was in Flemish or not. It's well done, but there weren't any particularly interesting aspects of it besides the basic plot that the killer has Alzheimer's. What makes it better is that Jan Decleir is very very good as the killer. The problem is that it was made after Memento, which means that everyone has to mention it in their review. That's my mention. It's much less interested in messing with the audience's expectations than with the actual plot mechanics of Alzheimer's. Not to say that the plot is anything but pedestrian. It's pretty clear what's going to happen and how it's going to happen pretty early on. The part that makes it good is Decleir.

No comments: