8/19/2006

FLCL

FLCL (or, Fooly Cooly, or Furi Kuri, or lots of other things, but not eff-ell-cee-ell) is insane. And I generally hate insane anime. I mean, really a lot. But this is... insane in a good way? I think that it's actually making fun of a lot of anime conventions, like the almost constant upskirt shots (and the rest of fanservice) and robot battles. I think, so I could be wrong. But it has a soundtrack by the Pillows, a band I first found out about a long time ago on a messageboard far, far away. Or, more accurately, the old Superchunk board when someone linked to Hybrid Rainbow and said they sounded like Superchunk. I sort of saw the resemblance, but mainly I saw just how good they are. Yay for Japanese indie-rock! Increase hipster quotient immensely! Woo! Anyway, the anime makes up for being completely crazy by also being about the love of a 12 year old boy for an older alien who hits him with her Vespa and a guitar. And his older baseball playing brother's pyromaniac girlfriend. Seriously, what the hell, Japan? It can't be normal at all, can it? This all being said, I did enjoy it. And I highly recommend it to anyone who can sit for almost three hours and just accept that you'll be confused, but that it looks and sounds pretty good.

No comments: