6/24/2005

The Happiness of the Katakuris & King of Comedy

I don't think I can imagine a crazier film than The Happiness of the Katakuris. Zombies, musical, badly choreographed dancing, a sumo wrestler killing the small girl he's having sex with by having a heart attack and smothering her, a con-man who says he's Queen Elizabeth's nephew and both a US Navy pilot and in the Royal Navy, crazy clamation to avoid some gore, the music video and extreme zooms when they see the first body, the great-grandfather who hits flying birds with logs... well, I think I could go on for a bit longer. Miike is a crazy person. I'd complain about the singing, except I can't tell whether it's bad singing or if it's a Japanese thing. I don't know how anyone could make a more insane film. I've seen worse films, I've seen films that make less sense, I've seen films that are just collections of vignettes with no relation to anything, but this one just doesn't even bother.

King of Comedy is a pretty darn good comedy from Stephen Chow. Better than his other pre-Shaolin Soccer movies. It's also touching. Plus, it has a great Killer spoof, and the Jackie Chan cameo is funny, and the Quentin homage character was a nice, understated touch. Plus, Cecilia Cheung is hot as hell. I thought it was a great movie until the ending scene which just was strange. Pringles? I like them a lot, but that just didn't really follow from anything else. And what the hell was with the naked small boy in so many scenes? I have to wonder what that kid is going to think about his role when he gets older. But how can you hate a movie that has a scene like the one between Cecilia and Stephen by the tree in the courtyard?

No comments: