7/04/2006

My Sassy Girl

My Sassy Girl is a little Korean film that just happened to be a huge hit based on a blog. Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup! It's Caseus Velox: The Movie time! Ok, not really, but man, I want my blog to be rich and famous someday. Maybe it'll share some of the spoils and give me some of its castoffs. I'm better than Turtle. Why would a Korean kid in 2001 have a Colorado Rockies pennant on his wall? Apparently, no Korean players played for them then, so he had to like the Rockies. What the hell-ass? And why am I such a total sap? Yeah, I cried at the end. There's just something about a completely hokey ending that can get me. I think I saw a little too much of myself in Kyun-woo. At least my relationships have rarely been that abusive. I know there's supposed to be an American remake of this film. It will suck. There is no doubt in my mind. The complete unpredictableness of the plot and some very Korean aspects of it (The Shower? What?) will resist all translation to America. And there's just something about an attractive Asian girl that makes it hard to take her beating the crap out of a guy seriously enough to have a major problem with it. It was much better than every other Korean comedy I've seen, although that isn't really that many. A few years ago, I said that every Korean film I saw was crap. Of late, I've seen quite a few movies that put that statement to rest. I apologize to the Korean film industry. You're not complete crap. Just make more movies like this and Tae Guk Gi and 3-Iron and less like Sex Is Zero and Lies and I'll be a much happier person.

No comments: