8/13/2005

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban & Swimming with Sharks

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was suprisingly really good. I'm not sure whether I was just expecting suck or what, but I was really happy with it. Maybe it had a little something to do with me being a sucker for a good time-travel joke. Maybe it was the fact that a major problem with Chamber of Secrets was fixed in this one, with Hermione (who's getting more attractive...) instead of Ron at the end. But I think it's mainly due to two things: Alfonso Cuarón and the decision to film it in more actual locations rather than in a studio. Cuarón's touch is clear with the more realistic CGI and the darker tone. I'm surprised that it didn't get a PG-13. I think that Radcliffe may need a few more acting lessons, but at least everyone else was pretty good. Well, except for Draco Malfoy, who is still annoying as hell. But there may not be any more of Potter's muggle family. Not a bad thing. None of the films seemed to get remotely interesting until they start to go to Hogwarts. I did notice immediately that Richard Harris had been replaced by Michael Gambon. Obvious, but some of it was because I'm so familiar with Gambon's face. We need more Alan Rickman. More more more. At least Gary Oldman will return, with more of a part. And damn it all to hell, but I am actually somewhat interested in seeing the 4th one. When does the 7th book come out? Based on my extremely complicated computations, I figure sometime in 2007.

Swimming with Sharks had an outstanding performance from Kevin Spacey. Completely outstanding. Frank Whaley paled in comparison. And it had Miranda Freakin' Zero in it. I don't think that I'll ever get over her in that role. So damn cool. But [SPOILER] how could he freakin' kill Miranda Freakin' Zero? The ending sort of felt like a cop-out, the only way for a somewhat happy ending after that kind of torture, but the scenes with Buddy mentally torturing Guy were great. What the hell happened to Spacey? He hasn't done anything remotely interesting since 1999.

No comments: