8/15/2005

Trashed books & Spartan

When I was sending off my Netflix, I saw a pile of books on the recycling container (that's on it, not in it, I don't go dumpster diving). One was Seymour Hersh's The Dark Side of Camelot. So when I slowly read through it, I'll let you know what I think of it. So far, I hate that he feels like he has to say that the interview was done "for this book" in the text. That doesn't matter. Just use footnotes or endnotes. Or just freakin' ignore it. Who cares? Not a reader who just wants to know how many women Kennedy boned in the White House. I'm through the first 30 pages or so, and it's apparently a lot.

I saw Spartan, which is classic Mamet. Although it seemed like there were only a few exchanges that had the typical stilted Mametisms. But it was improbably interesting. Kilmer was actually quite good, his first good role since Heat. And maybe his best role since Tombstone. Nice twisted plot, although none of it was as stupidly put together as a typical Hollywood thriller, making it seem much less like a twisty plot. I was pretty shocked at a few points, which was nice. All in all, I think it's about average Mamet, which means good.

No comments: