9/21/2005

Comrades: Almost a Love Story, Rome 1.4, Gilmore Girls 6.1 & 6.2

Comrades: Almost a Love Story was really good, but the DVD sucked. No menu, and poor and sometimes missing subtitles. And I really wish that I had watched it with someone who knew either Mandarin or Cantonese, so that I could figure out which one was being spoken. I at least got a little help on the significance of the some of the dates in the movie. That being said, Maggie Cheung is one of the greatest actresses of all time. And is gorgeous. And will make me willing to see anything she's in. This movie not only had a great performance from her, but a restrained performance from Eric Tsang, who normally is a terrible over-actor, and a rare in front of camera appearance by Christopher Doyle, the greatest cinematographer working today. And possibly ever, but I'd have to check on that. I'd wanted to see it for a while, but I was moved to put it to the top of my queue by a friend who is currently in China, and I was suggesting she tutor English to make a little bit of cash on the side. Well, I first suggested prostitution, but that never really goes over well with her. And it certainly wouldn't go over well with the Chinese government. The English tutoring scenes were funny, and made me want to tell everyone "I go to hell. You go to hell. We go to hell." And then I realised that was ridiculous. The movie overly melodramatic, and generally something I'd hate if done by less skilled people. But it also had the sexiest double-coating ever. Ever. I defy you to find a sexier one than this. And you will fail.

Rome episode 4 had the first frontal male nudity I can recall in the series. Couldn't quite tell if he was circumcised or not, but that means there was a possibility he wasn't. Yay for possible historical accuracy. I am still enjoying the show, but I doubt that I can continue to write a few sentences about each episode. Lots of fun things in it (midget as Cato, Caesar's seizure, Caesar's pedophilia rumors, the graffiti which is clearly the best thing about the show), but really, if you aren't reading the TWOP forums for Rome, you're missing out on lots of the same stuff I'd be writing here. Well, with a little less happiness about naked men. Less happiness here. I can see myself naked whenever I want. Suffice it to say that I will write more when I feel like it, rather than when there's a new episode.

Gilmore Girls episodes 1 & 2 of the 6th season. Well, hmmm. Not nearly enough Paris or Kirk in the first two episodes, mainly because they were only in the first episode, and no Lane at all? Why is there any of Liz and TJ when there could be Lane? Seriously, something is wrong. I don't think there was any Logan in this episode either. So I can't completely complain. Plus, Lorelai with a dog was funny. How did he get the door locked?

No comments: