9/12/2005

Rome 1.3 & Unfaithfully Yours

Rome 1.3 was good. I'm enjoying the show, even if it isn't really all that historically accurate. But there are some nice touches, like Brutus's depiction of what would happen if Caesar became emperor. And Pullo giving Vorenus woman advice was pretty funny as well, and the planned suicides was funny in a sick way. I think it's clearly the worst hour-long thing I've seen HBO do. Still better than most other TV though. And I really enjoy the random bits of Latin knowledge that help out. Who knew that 6 years of Latin would help me know what the graffiti was on the walls of Atia's house? They were Atia loves all and Atia blows all. Yay for vulgarity! Note that Charles Jenney's Latin texts did not have the translation for fellat. I had to pick that one up on the streets.

Unfaithfully Yours was not nearly as good as I was hoping. Yes, it was dark, and yes, Rex Harrison was very good, but I just don't think I get the whole so jealous you consider murder part of it. Just seemed too far out there. It's a damn shame that it was one of Sturges's last films, because he made some of the greatest comedies of the 40s. Well, actually, this is only the fifth movie of his I've seen. But the other four are all classics. This was just a funny movie.

No comments: