9/18/2005

The Hotel New Hampshire, Look Back in Anger, & A Matter of Life & Death

The Hotel New Hampshire was a complete mess. I haven't read the book, but I imagine it followed it very well, but turning an Irving novel into a less than two hour long movie can't be done. And that can only be done by taking out huge portions. The Hotel New Hampshire just was too episodic and was all about having all the plot points in it rather than any actual character development. Plus, comedic fast-motion never really works. I can't think of one time where I didn't cringe. The World According to Garp was successful due to the strength of characters, while the deliberate weirdness of Irving was easy enough to overcome. The Cider House Rules worked due to great acting and the fact that they took out the strangest character, making it a normal movie (well, except for the feel-good abortion movie of the year part of it). This movie, however, had the weirdness, had the obsession with sex, and didn't have anything remotely interesting to say about the characters or acting. Great cast, just didn't have a chance: Rob Lowe, Jodie Foster, Seth Green (I really didn't recognize him), Nastassja Kinski, Joely Richardson, Wallace Shawn, Matthew Modine, Wilford Brimley, and Amanda Plummer. What a waste.

Look Back in Anger is an interesting two-pack of Tony Richardson movies. Something I didn't really realise, but it did make sense, because I was just going through by director on Netflix. The first of the British "Angry Young Men" films... well, I don't know what to say. I am not sure how many others I've seen, but this was disappointing. It was one of those movies with a troubled lead and I just want to smack him upside the head. A complete jackass. I know that's the point, but man, I just wanted to hurt him. So damn frustrating. Acting may have been good, but when you're making an ass sympathetic, I just get annoyed. I've seen two other Richardson movies, Tom Jones and Blue Sky, both of which I enjoyed, so I think it's not a problem with him, I just hated Jimmy Porter as a person. Also weird to see a young Donald Pleasence. Never really changed.

A Matter of Life & Death is still one of my favorite movies of all times. And not just for the technical aspects, which are amazing, but for the entire trial scene, which has some great British-American antagonisms. Definitely a must watch for anyone who wants to know anything about movies. And the "bullet time" is impressive. When the hell is this going to be released on DVD? Well, at least in a good version. The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, I Know Where I'm Going, The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp are all on Criterion Collection. And this movie is better than all of them. Come out on Criterion, damnit!

No comments: