9/27/2005

Operation Ceasefire

Well, protesters are stupid. They give rational anti-war people a bad name. Because I don't think that we're really as bad as they think. What the hell is the point of an Iranian flag at a protest against the war in Iraq? Are they saying that we should go to an Islamic fundamentalist republic? Because that's insane. Plus, they kept diluting the anti-war part of it by being anti-corporate, anti-capitalist, anti-everything. And being annoying as anyone on the right could be.

Anyway, the music, for me, started with the Evens, which was pretty good. The only song I even knew the title of before the concert, let alone heard any songs, was Mt. Pleasant Isn't, which was good. Sounded a little like a more stripped down version of early Fugazi. Although you could say that it would be early White Stripes, and you wouldn't be too far off, but Amy Farina is a much better drummer than Meg White. Admittedly, that isn't too hard to be.

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists rocked the pants off the audience. They played Sons of Cain, a blistering version of Timorous Me, and finished with an amazing version of Ballad of a Sin Eater. Just a great performance. Too bad I can't remember more of the songs they played. They played quite a bit longer than I expected for the time. Too bad they were sandwiched between too earnest pinkos. Literally: I think Code Pink came out just before or after Ted Leo.

Head Rock was next, who started with an impressive acapella rap. Too bad the music itself wasn't what I like. After that was Thievery Corporation, which I didn't like either. Too bad. I feel like I lost some cool points. Or something like that. Maybe my hipster card will be revoked.

No comments: